Saturday, August 27, 2011

Girly alert

Can I just say how much I LOVE that Bailey is completely into dresses right now? She's always been a bit of a tomboy, rough and tumble kind of gal, which suits me just fine. Now she's rockin' that same spirit but in cute dresses!

Awhile back I purchased Carefree Clothes for Girls by Junko Okawa because the style is just so simple and lovely. I have the English translation of the Japanese book and so far it seems pretty straightforward and easy to understand. I've made two dresses based on patterns in the book (though I always seem to make changes and put my own spin on things as I go along).

This is the first:


A sweet little sundress with a light green cotton shirting and some awesome Happy Mochi Yum Yum. The pattern calls for the skirt to be gathered but I decided to put in two pleats on the front of the skirt and one larger pleat in the back.


The other dress is made from a striped jersey knit with a lining of very thin poly/cotton fabric ($2.50 a yard, thank you Fabric depot outdoor sale). We'll see how this one does after a few washes since the lining is left with a raw edge. The neck and arm openings were supposed to be finished with bias binding but I was loving the look of the serged edges so left them like that instead.


There were no complaints and Bailey even said this dress felt as comfy as jammies. Good news since I have fabric for at least two more of these!

Love my girly girl!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments and answering any questions. Thanks so much for stopping by and spending some time here!