Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Potholder-palooza

My very first potholders.

The Portland Modern Quilt Guild is having a potholder swap at their next meeting so I figured I'd better get busy and make one. Well, much like potato chips, it's hard to stop at one. I've finished these two and have three more cut and ready to be assembled later tonight. I'd never made a potholder before and it was really fun! I expect I'll be making up a bunch of these to give as gifts and my kitchen will probably get a few to add to it's wardrobe as well.


I really like this bright floral print but it is REALLY bright! A little dab'll do ya. But I do love the happy colors and the stripey binding. It all feels very spring to me.

The back and binding. I love knowing the CORRECT way to do binding! I cringe when I look at my first few attempts on my earliest quilts but I guess you have to start somewhere.


This was one of those fabrics that I bought with no plan for it at all. I just really really liked it. Those flowers are so yummy!

The back and binding. I have to admit I kind of have a crush on the whole binding process. I use a 2 1/4" strip and love the hunky chunky way the edges look and feel when it's all finished. I also really enjoy hand-stitching the binding in place - very relaxing.

So, the other thing I did with these potholders was a very simple wonky straight line quilting. I was going to try free motion quilting but the quilt sandwiches were pretty thick after adding the insul-brite and cotton batting. I like how they are both simple but have a little personality. And I learned that a little wonk goes a long way. Can't wait to try it on a bigger quilt.

Now I just need to figure out which one I'll be taking for the swap!

1 comment:

I love reading your comments and answering any questions. Thanks so much for stopping by and spending some time here!